Why I Started in Workers’ Compensation? - Tammy Boyd

By Tammy Boyd,
Vice President of Business Development, Bardavon Health Innovations, LLC

Why I started in Workers’ Compensation should be changed to why I stayed in Workers’ Compensation. 
As I reflect upon the last decade of how I became established in Workers’ Compensation, I realize I unwittingly went in blindly, not knowing anything about the industry. Like many others, I wasn’t seeking a career in Workers’ Compensation. My role began in a niche part of the industry—catastrophic claims for residential neurorehabilitation. These claims account for less than 1% of all Workers’ Compensation claims, but account for more than 20% of the total medical cost. These claims include brain and spinal cord injury, severe burns, amputation and multiple trauma injuries. Catastrophic claims can be millions of dollars in medical cost and can extend over the lifetime of an injured worker.

My career began as an account manager for a local hospice center. I worked with hospitals and physician offices in a specific territory. That hospice experience led me to a small startup company that offered post-acute neurorehabilitation services for individuals with brain and spinal cord injuries. The company’s mission is to empower people with medically complex injuries/illnesses to regain their sense of independence and purpose. I was responsible for the business development and marketing nationally, focusing my efforts specifically in the area of Workers’ Compensation. 

This backdoor entrance into Workers’ Compensation instilled in me the importance of centering care around the patient, a value I hold dear to me today. That patient-centered approach was brought into focus for me when I worked with a delivery truck driver who had a grim prognosis. 

When I visited the delivery driver in the hospital, I expected to see a bed-ridden patient, who might not be alert or aware of his surroundings. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find him out of his bed, walking and talking, and playing with his children. What a relief! 

The patient had received post-acute neurobehavioral treatment for six months with a holistic approach to care, focusing on his physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. This type of patient-centered approach includes many stakeholders—an external nurse case manager, clinical therapists, behavioral analyst, neuropsychologist, psychiatrist, physiatrist, family members, and of course, the injured worker. The treatment team met monthly, reviewing a comprehensive treatment plan with goals of discharging to home safely, and returning to work. 

Through this experience I knew I wanted to continue working with other like-minded professionals in the Workers’ Compensation industry who embraced the same values: quality of care, dignity and purpose for the injured worker, and evidence-based approach to treatment. 

Thankfully I found such a company in Bardavon Health Innovations. This forward-thinking, National Specialty Physical Medicine Network is truly revolutionizing the Workers’ Compensation industry by optimizing the way patients, Providers, Payors, and other key stakeholders interact with each other, always keeping the patient at the center of care. 

I knew I wanted to work at Bardavon. This innovative mission-driven company was focused on quality-driven outcomes, inclusion, and transparency. It has an impeccable reputation, is a thought leader in the industry, and most importantly, has a patient-centered approach to care. 

CEO Matt Condon, a William Shakespeare enthusiast, drew his inspiration from the ‘Bard of Avon.’ The corporate motto is derived from Henry VIII, “And 'tis a kind of good deed to say well: And yet words are no deeds. Bardavon’s mission is to transform healthcare by not just saying the right things, but by acting on words to improve the quality of care for injured workers.

Advice for fellow professionals in the industry.
As the next generation comes forth in the Workers’ Compensation industry, I’d advise them to learn everything you can in your specialty within the industry. Workers’ Compensation is so dynamic, with so many moving parts. Change is constant and inevitable. 

At an Alliance of Women in Workers’ Compensation event, a speaker’s quote resonated with me. “Turtles only advance when they stick their neck out.” Be confident, be bold! Don’t wait to be invited to join an organization or committee--ask to volunteer. 

There are many mission-driven organizations and trade groups within the industry. It’s a great way to network and communicate with other Workers’ Compensation professionals. I really embrace the Workers’ Compensation industry. It’s why I stay.
###
Tammy Boyd is Vice President of Business Development at Bardavon Health Innovations, LLC, in Overland Park, KS. In her position, Tammy leads and coordinates all sales efforts with internal Bardavon departments and is responsible for identifying and closing business development opportunities and driving revenue growth by forming meaningful relationships with new clients. Bardavon is an industry-leading, data analytics company focused on redefining Workers’ Compensation with a mission to promote a culture of transparency in revolutionizing the employee continuum of care through innovative, quality outcome-driven solutions.

Comments