People and Their Ability to Regroup


By Rosemary McKenzie-Ferguson




Have you ever seen something but not ever stopped to see exactly what it is that has caught your eye even for less than the blink of an eye? I have driven past this sign countless times in the last 8 months, I had seen it without actually seeing it, as with so many things this sign had became background vision in the daily drive to Craig’s Table. 

Today though even though I was on time leaving for work, a traffic accident slowed everything down to an absolute crawl, so I had time to actually pull over and not just take this photo, but to properly see the sign for the first time. 

This old road sign tells me that I was standing 17 miles from Sydney. But as with many things when I stopped or slowed down long enough to see, it caused me to wonder what else I was rushing past and not seeing. I didn’t have long to ponder because a conversation at Craig’s Table told me that I was sitting among some truly amazing people. People who up to just a few weeks back had no idea about each other, or that in a short space the well-being of each other would be almost paramount. One of the participants of Craig’s Table wasn’t able to be there today but the questions that came were “is she alright?” “does she need anything?” “can you tell her we miss her?”  

This particular participant has only been at Craig’s Table twice, but that was long enough for the rest of them to put their support around her and hold her in their care and trust. 

This is what every day at Craig’s Table is like, if someone is done the others combine to lift them up, dry their tears and simply be in “there”. Text messages go back and forth, laughter is real and commitment is solid. 

All the things that injured workers are meant to be cannot be found at Craig’s Table.
Whilst it is correct that when a new participant comes in they bring with them all the fears and concerns and negativity possible; none of it last for long. The “can’ts” quickly turn into “can’s” and the “can’s” turn into “can I” and the “can I” turn into new futures. Medications for stress and depression also starts to drop away and anger and frustration and fear also start to vanish. 

I really do have the best job in the whole world, I get to watch in real time people shedding layers of self-protection, I get to witness the aha moments as the realisation that there really is life post workplace injury and post workers compensation and that the future still remains unwritten and unpredicted. 

This morning’s conversations were not even based in the workers compensation arena; the conversation was based in the garden, and how the missing participant has a whole section to take under her control and the numerous spring bulbs that the garden bed has to be prepared for. The conversation was around the compost bin and the worm farm. The conversation was full of I wonder this and I wonder that- the conversation was between friends supporting their missing friend.

Craig’s Table is very different to anything else within the workers compensation industry. 

Craig’s Table is about people and their ability to regroup, shake themselves off and start again.

Craig’s Table sits within the workers compensation concept, but it is not about workers compensation; it’s about people.

I wrote Craig’s Table to fill the need for those with a workplace injury to actually be able to stand in their own right again, to simply be the best they can possibly be. I wrote Craig’s Table to help them find their wings and then to get out of their way so they can fly. 

The bonus is I get to see so many inspiring moments that the whole world needs to see and now thanks to WorkCompCentral I also get to share these journeys with you as well. 

On a personal note: I need to say that I miss my friend my colleague my mentor I don’t know that it would be possible to meet anyone who doesn’t miss David. 

I know the exact spot I was when the news came through, I sat frozen in heartbreak and disbelief. I still find it difficult that the man I knew who could never sit still has left this world.  I see a small plane flying overhead and the vision takes me back to flying with David as he pointed out the various sights for me, nothing ever seemed to be beyond David. Rest in Peace my friend. 

Yours in service
Rosemary

SKYPE Rosemary2412 
27th March 2018 

Comments

  1. Rosemary I loved your sweet well written blog post. I miss David too and like you I am an injured worker.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment