I'm Happy

This last week has been a most interesting one, Craig’s Table is taking on a life of its own in many ways not just for the placements but for the wider workers compensation process as well. Over the last few months there have been many glimpses of all that was coming into being for the participants; the unexpected feelings that have risen to the surface for people who have not allowed themselves to feel or dare to dream have overwhelmed many of them, tears have fallen as relief and release of tension arrived at the same time. Each of the participants are so different yet they are united within Craig’s Table. 

But that wasn’t what this past week showed to me.

This past week I have had meetings within the industry provider component of workers compensation, people I have long admired but not ever had the reason or the opportunity to meet or talk with. Then there were the people I have worked closely with over many years, the people I have relied on to answer my seemingly endless questions as they guided and mentored me through quagmire after quagmire after quagmire.

I am never sure how other providers within the workers compensation process view Craig’s Table; for those who have had little to no connection to my work it is a daunting thing to walk into a meeting with them: suffice to say butterflies still flutter in my tummy and I look for an indication that there is not just common ground, but solid ground under my feet. 

Such a meeting happened this past week.

I walked into the meeting and there on the table was an array of all that has been achieved over the past many years, the handshake was firm and then came the question “how we can work together?” 
I had gone into the meeting not sure if it would even be a feasible hope to put forward; so to have the question asked within the first few minutes was amazing for me.

The door that many within the workers compensation industry thought would take years to open was not just ajar but truly open and the conversation flowed.

There are still things to do, many more such meetings to have before everything that was discussed will come into place, but for now I am feeling far easier than I have felt in a long time. What topped the conversation off for me was that the person I was speaking with had heard only good things about everything we are doing at Craig’s Table. Just goes to show that when hope chance and opportunity combine there is an outcome that for me was at one time just a dream.

The other two meetings were equally interesting, I attended a small dinner with a man and his wife who I have known for a long time. The gentleman has been a sounding board for me, oft times calming me down when angst overflowed. He has always read my outlines and been supportive and blunt with me; he saw the vision of Craig’s Table long before others had any idea as to what I was working on, he would drag me back to the original concept when needed and at other times would tell me to explore wider dependent entirely on what I was outlining.  So, it was another amazing surprise when his wife told me that when a question of concern comes up my mentor can be heard pondering “What would Rosemary do in this situation?” It somehow feels quite unnerving that my mentor views me as his mentor as well; even now just remembering the conversation it still feels humbling and odd at the same time.

The next conversation with another mentor who has always draw the most out of me, (he takes no prisoners) was for the first time in a long time was more about me doing the listening instead of the talking. Guidelines were re-drawn and steps forward were suggested in order to build Craig’s Table. 
This mentor gave me a few words that I will share with you in the hope that you can also see the vision of where Craig’s Table fits into the workers compensation process. “Craig’s Table is where “I” become “me” and “me” becomes “we” and “we” becomes “community” “ 

Craig’s Table is based 100% within the concept and framework of community, when someone is down someone else steps forward, when someone celebrates, we all celebrate. There is no room for “I” there is only “we”.

This last week has been in many ways a stop along the journey towards a destination so many doubted would ever be possible.

As I explained to the first person that when I hit the floor after my workplace injury I never envisioned being able to do any of the things that have come into being, and even now there are components that I am writing that seem too far a reach but the concepts pull me forward simply because the need that is in place is very stark and very real for far too many people. 
Over the coming weeks months years Craig’s Table will continue to grow and doors will continue to open in places that I have dared to consider walking into. 

And it won’t just be me walking through those doors, as Nancy Astor ((Viscountess Astor) said to the British Parliament in 1919 “I may be the first women to enter, but I have left the door ajar” thus it is with me, I may be the first one from Craig’s Table to enter into conversations with people who would not normally gift others the time of day, but I will not be the last person from Craig’s Table to do so. And that has to be a good thing for everyone within the industry we call workers compensation. 


Yours in service
Rosemary
www.craigstable.net.au
rosemary@craigstable.net.au
SKYPE Rosemary2412
24th June 2018



Comments