Have you ever wondered (because I know I have)?

By: Rosemary McKenzie-Ferguson
Have you ever wondered what workers compensation looks like?
Have you ever wondered just why some people with a workplace injury literally sail through the process unscathed by anything other than the injury the created the claim; whilst others trip and stumble at each interaction?
Have you ever wondered (because I have) why some people simply return to their workplace post a workplace injury whilst others appear to be on an endless and thankless treadmill that has no start and no end point? 
There are so many interactions and intersections within the myriad of twists and turns, it should come as no surprise that people become lost as though they are in a thankless maze with false ends and false exits instead of a labyrinth that has only and entrance and an exit.
Last week at Craig’s Table there was great excitement, one of the placements had taken another massive step towards returning to full an open employment. This person has not held a job in over 4 years, the system had written her off as being too difficult to cope with, too many issues, too many this and too many that. I won’t deny that the last few months have been a challenge; this person has pushed me in ways that told me she was not difficult she was just lost in the midst of injury and broken promises. It was not hard to understand the reasons for the angst, it was just a matter of time, and showing that as much as she pushed, I wasn’t going anywhere. 
Just before Christmas I pondered out loud (believing I was on my own) “we have to remember what everyone is capable of regardless of who they are or what their workplace injury is” and then I added “everyone has the right to retain or regain open employment.” 
This person spoke quite softly saying” I want a job, I can do lots of different things, I don’t have a job to go back to and I don’t have a job to go forward to.” 
It was a tone of voice that I had not heard before, I looked and saw a different demeanour as well. The lack of frustration and the strength of determination was on show. 
We sat and we talked, it was one of those conversation that had no direction but went in every direction. There was no room for trite or surface discussion. It was about next steps, not allowing any more back steps, it was about tears of loss, tears of hope, tears for time that can never come again, it was about laughter and planning and dreams being woven into a new future fabric. 
Last week when we talked again was the first time this person referred to herself as a person with qualifications and a workplace injury instead of just an injured worker.  We spoke about what needs to be put in place in order for this person to return to open employment. Along with the conversation came an outline of the types of part-employment that is being aimed at whilst at the same time building body strength. For this person it means a return to exercise and a commitment to eating quality food.
I have no doubt that this person will return to open employment within the next few weeks. The reason I am positive about this prediction is very simple, this person is fully aware that all the support that has been in place at Craig’s Table will remain in place, always in the background always supporting and always pushing forward. The other reason is quite simple this person has had enough of being on the workers compensation scrap heap “it stinks, I am tired of the stench” 
I return to the opening question(s) “have you ever wondered what workers compensation system looks like?”  for mine it is the smile I get to see when the possibilities of the morrow are firmly in the grasp of the people who the system is in place to serve.
Craig’s Table is taking more and more long-term people with a workplace injury away from the ceaseless treadmill and putting them back on solid ground. Mayhaps Craig’s Table is what workers compensation should look like.
‘tis late Sunday night for me, time for me to put everything in place for the coming week. 
Yours in service
Rosemary

www.craigstable.net.au
rosemary@craigstable.net.au
SKYPE Rosemary2412
20
th January 2019 

Comments