Which direction from zero is the best one to go in?

Written by: Rosemary McKenzie-Ferguson
I was having a late lunch one afternoon a few weeks back, one of the participants at Craig’s Table sat down alongside of me with a question that I have heard countless times “who is going to want to give me a job?” there was a few seconds silence, the silence was the silence that comes when you know another person is both asking a question and thinking out loud as they formulate the real question. “What direction do I need to go in so my workplace injury isn’t even considered a barrier?”
Now the conversation could actually begin. Not because the first question wasn’t important, but because the second question was about taking ownership of the challenge that was being met head on.
For a while the one-sided conversation continued, there were the normal self-doubts and concerns about gaps in resume’s, lack of up-to-date qualifications and a real physical challenge of not being able to work full time.
Then came the one-sided chat about all the industry knowledge that is in place, all the transferrable skills, all the self-learning about a sports-based hobby. Everything was being placed into the one-sided conversation, everything was laid bare even up to the inter-family commitment to care for an elderly relative so as the aged relative would not need to go into a care facility -this meant one afternoon a month the speaker would drive the aged relative to a short medical appointment and one morning a month the speaker would be in place for the aged relative in order to pack away the meal delivery. All of it had to be taken into consideration.
There was a short gap, I still had not spoken, but the silence was unclear if the speaker had run out of thing to add or had reached the part where I needed to say something.
I was about to speak when again the speaker went on with the commitment to the elderly relative was flexible, the days often changed to ensure that other members of the extended family could be accommodated due to shift work or unexpected issues that just happen.
I finished eating and picked up my cup of tea.
The speaker continued, only now there was a piece of paper and dot points were being written down. Very serious concerns were being reduced to ink on paper.
I kept sipping my tea and watching the whole process as it played out alongside of me, whilst at the same time I was not actually part of the process.
A few more concerns were added, the usual “what if this what if that what if something else?” 
Finally; the pen was put down, the dot points were read and re-read. The speaker turned to me with a look of anticipation; just waiting for me to put my tea cup down. 
The speaker expected me to discuss everything on the paper instead I asked “have you applied for the job as yet?” 
There was another short silence then the answer “yes I have and I have put you down as a reference.”
The purpose of the one-sided conversation was for me to just be the sounding post, to listen and to remain close by in order for the “impossible” to shift to “I’m possible” 
In the almost 25 years since my own workplace injury I have discovered many things about the lives within the injured worker community.
I have discovered tenacity and courage under all the stress and fear. I have discovered that when one person steps up and says “I believe in you, you can do this!” then the injured worker community steps back, takes in a big deep breathe and just gets on with what is needed. 
I have seen so many amazing changes all because someone cares enough to want to offer support.
As for the speaker, he didn’t get the job he applied for, however he did get a work trial elsewhere, his confidence keeps growing as does his skill base. He has enrolled at a local college to sharpen his qualifications up in a related area so that he can move into a better job. 
The direction that this member of the injured worker community went in is no different to any other person, the uncertainty faced is no different to any other person when it comes to changing jobs or moving house or even becoming involved in a personal relationship. Change is difficult and it is oft time over-filled with fear of the unknown, all of us need a steady hand to hold as we leverage our way up in the world.
If you can do nothing else for someone, be the steady hand and the silent partner in a one-sided conversation.
Yours in service
Rosemary

Comments